There is a common saying among gun holders that if you take good care of your gun, then it will also take good care of you when you need it the most. The only care that your gun will ever need from you is proper maintenance. The last thing you want is your gun backfiring when you expected it to be at its absolute best – it doesn’t matter whether you have a clean shot in the bush, or you need to release the first shot to stay alive during an armed robbery incident. And this is why it very important to take gun cleaning seriously, which also calls for the knowledge on gun cleaning solvents because you will have to use the best if you desire to get the best results.
A glance at the chemicals section of your local gun store will bring you face to face with a plethora of chemicals purposely designed for gun cleaning. To the uninitiated, of those owning guns for the first time, this may be completely overwhelming. One may fail to understand why there are so many specialty cleaners, oils, forms and aerosols for cleaning guns. But it should be known that there is a lot that goes into the process of cleaning guns and making and as such, there is also a plethora of gun cleaning solutions, and as a responsible owner, it is imperative to have a good understanding of what cleaning solvents work best for what cleaning operations.
Your choice of chemicals will have a direct impact on the cleaning results, as well as the overall condition of your gun. In this gun cleaning solvents review, we will go into deeper details about the top solvents available in the market today, the importance of the cleaning solvents, the factors you should consider when using the solvents and a look at some of the frequently asked questions on gun cleaning solvents.
Gun Solvent Reviews
Hoppe’s No.9 Gun Bore Cleaner
Hoppe’s No.9 Gun Bore Cleaner is a synthetic blend cleaner specially formulated for cleaning modern firearms and it is without a doubt one of the best gun cleaning solvents you will find in the market today. It features an original classic formula that was started by Frank Hoppe in 1903, and up to date, there is no cleaner that is more trusted than Hoppe’s No.9.
The versatility of the cleaner makes it suitable to clean just any type of firearm you may have. Whether you have a deer rifle, a revolver, or an AK-47, No.9 will get the job done, and help to keep your gun in a good working condition. If you need a versatile lubricant that cleans and protects your gun from future damages and is trusted by the champions, then you have every reason to consider the No.9.
- It is an ultra-effective cleaner
- It is safe and easy to use
- Comes with a childproof cap
- It penetrates rapidly and deeply
- A favorite for the champions
- Effective results for cleaning the gun barrel
- Can be used on any firearm
- Poor packing during shipping and this may make its contents leak – the only negative complain about it.
FW Klever GmbH Ballistol Multipurpose Cleaner
The Ballistol Multipurpose Cleaner is a product initially designed for the German Forces that needed a multipurpose product that would clean, lubricate, protect and preserve their firearms, gun stocks leather gear. When it comes to cleaning firearms and reducing the need to brush and scrap chambers and barrels, then there is no product in the market currently that rivals the efficacy of the Barristol.
This cleaner, protectant, and lubricant works by forming a protective film on the metallic surfaces and it also has the ability to creep into the finest fissures and cracks to not just help loosen nut and bolts, but also offer the perfect lubrication. Unlike other lubricants, Ballistol will emulsify when it comes into contact with water, and when the water evaporates, it remains behind, thus making it ideal for use under wet conditions.
In addition to being used on cleaning and maintaining guns, it can also be used to keep leather gear smooth and shiny.
- A multipurpose cleaner
- Protects and preserves wood, leather, metal, and plastics
- Ideal for lubricating and protecting firearm and everything else
- Not environmentally friendly. Should only be used in a well-aerated place
- Has a horrible smell
- Some buyers think it is slightly overpriced
BreakFree CLP-4 Cleaner Lubricant
The origin of this cleaner can be traced back to a time when the United States Army issued a purchase description of a multipurpose cleaner for their weaponry that was considered by many to be “impossible specification” due to the severe requirements the cleaner needed to have. BreakFree CLP – 4 was the very first product to meet the strict specifications that were demanded by the United States Army.
It is a unique formulation that features a variety of synthetic oils as well as proprietary ingredients that achieve three vital tasks in gun cleaning and maintenance all at one – effective cleaning, proper lubrication, and great metal protection. Currently, CLP – 4 Cleaner is considered as the standard for gauging metal performance and protection.
The cleaner is designed to penetrate and spread along the metallic surface and into every crevice and pit to remove contaminants and lift any residues present in places where removal is difficult.
- One of the best aerosol gun cleaners in the market today
- Corrosion inhibitors to protect guns against rust and other corrosive elements
- Can be used used in extreme temperatures and alkaline solutions
- Offer long-lasting lubrication
- Has a misleading image – comes as 1 pack and not 2 packs as advertised
- The bottle is small and some buyers think it is overpriced
Hoppe’s Elite Gun Cleaner Spray Bottle
Here comes another product by Hoppe’s that makes it to the list of the best gun cleaning products you will find in the market today. Hoppe’s Elite Gun Cleaner Spray Bottle is what you need for your gun maintenance of you desire high performance and accuracy as an active shooter. It is designed with some of the most advanced technology in firearm cleaning and care, and it will comfortably meet the cleaning demands of the law enforcement, professional shooters and the military.
It has the ability to penetrate deep into the steel’s molecular pores to remove lead, carbon and copper fouling that will always settle after a round is fired. In addition to removing the fouling, it will condition the metal so that future fouling will be prevented. You will also be pleased to note that this elite cleaner is biodegradable, non-flammable, non-toxic and odorless. It comes in a one 8 Oz spray bottle.
- A high quality cleaner that can meet the cleaning demands of professional shooters and military
- Repels future fouling on the firearm
- It is odorless, non-toxic and non-flammable
- Easy to use. Reduces the time needed to clean a gun by up to 80%
- Sone customer complained of defective spray heads
- Leaking spray head
Hoppe’s No.9 Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil
Hoppe’s No.9 Synthetic Blend Lubricating Oil is one of the top gun barrel cleaner and lubricant you will find in the market today. It offers superb lubrication and protection to all the components of the firearm, and also helps to reduce instances of wear and tear that may have been occasioned by friction. Additionally, it will protect the weapon against corrosion and moisture.
- Ideal for use in tough environments
- Protects against corrosion and moisture
- Protects all areas of the firearm
- Poor sealing of the bottle. May lead to leaks
- When the weapon is left unused, it becomes sticky and may collect residue
Break-Free CLP – 2 Cleaner Lubricant
The Break-Free CLP – 2 Cleaner Lubricant features a unique formulation of synthetic oils and proprietary ingredients carefully blended to clean, protect, and lubricate all the metallic parts of a firearm. It has the ability to quickly and evenly penetrate and spread along the metallic surfaces and access every crevice and pit to remove contaminations and residues. With corrosion inhibitors, using it will also ensure that your firearm is safe from corrosion and effects of moisture.
- Penetrates deeply into pits and crevices to remove contaminants
- Offers long lasting lubrication to firearms
- Has corrosion inhibitors to prevent rust from forming on the gun
- Comes with a defective sprayer
- Small size compared to the price
- Some buyers think it is slightly expensive
Slip 2000 EWL 4oz
Slip 2000 EWL was specially formulated to be used in automated machine guns and rapid-fire rifles and pistols. Its formulation features a special treatment for controlling friction which, in turn, helps to reduce heat and eliminate excessive wear. It also has the ability to penetrate micro-pores and crevices to allow for perfect and even lubrication throughout the metallic components of the gun. Its longevity also sets it apart from other gun cleaning solvents, given that it can stay wet up five times longer than the other lubricants.
- Protects against corrosion
- Lasts longer
- Non-toxic and non-hazardous
- The bottle is cheap
- The price is fairly high
- It is just like any other rifle cleaner
M-Pro7 070 – 1453 4oz
Just like with every other industry, you will find a couple of products that are not so popular, yet are deadly effectively when it comes to getting the job done. The M-Pro7 070 is one such gun cleaning solvent you will be delighted to use, though you will not hear many people talking about it as much as they talk about Hoppe’s 9 review. This gun oil is the product of M-Pro7, and it is a cleaner, a lubricant, and a protectant, all merged into one.
- A multipurpose cleaner
- Easy to use
- Lasts longer
- Leakages during shipping
- Smells like gasoline
- Should not be used in poorly ventilated areas
Tetra Gun 004B1 Gun Grease
Tetra Gun Grease is a highly penetrating heavy-duty gun grease with versatile applications and ideal for use in shotguns, pistols, and rifles. It is one of the best original synthetic lubricants you will get in the market today, and with its versatility, it can be used in a wide range of operating temperatures. In addition to lasting longer, it also minimizes the buildup of contaminants on the firearm, as well as reducing friction, wear and tear on the firearm.
- Reduces friction and wear
- Can be used in a wide range of operating temperatures
- One of the best firearm lubricants today
- Separates inside the tube
Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner
Hoppe’s is not a new name when it comes to gun cleaning products and the Hoppe’s M-Pro 7 Gun Cleaner is another worthy consideration if you are in the market looking for a good cleaner. It is designed with an aerospace technology with the ability to break up and separate carbon molecules thus stopping carbon from fouling the gun. It decreases friction as well as wear and offers long-lasting corrosion protection to the gun.
- Cuts cleaning time by up to 80%
- Reduces future fouling
- Odorless, non-toxic, and biodegradable
- Poor packaging
- Defective pump
- May remove the bluing from aluminum
CLP by Sage & Braker
CLP by Sage & Braker is a versatile gun cleaning formula that cleans, lubricates and protects all at the same time. CLP by Sage & Braker is a highly penetrating solvent that will access deeper pits and crevices to remove lead, carbon, and copper fouling. It guarantees protection from failure as well as smooth action for reliable performance.
- Protects firearm from failure
- Safe for use
- Smooth action for reliable performance
- Not ideal for all types of pistols
- Relatively expensive compared to the rest
FrogLube CPL Liquid
The FrogLube CPL Liquid is one of the little known, yet very effective gun cleaner spray you will find in the market today. It may not be a highly cherished gun cleaning solvent, but having it will make the process of applying your gun oil smooth and effective. It is 100% natural and comes in a series of bottles so that you can choose the capacity and design that suits you the most.
- Better than traditional CLP
- Easy application
- May separate or become sticky
- Can cause a lot of mess if not applied correctly
Lucas Oil 10006 Gun Oil – 2 Oz
Lucas Gun Oil was developed with the main purpose of preventing jamming and overheating in high caliber rifles and machine guns. For this gun category, it is one of the best rifle cleaner products you should consider. It will withstand high combustion temperatures of machine guns and also protect against moisture.
- Ideal for high caliber rifles
- Protects against moisture
- Not ideal for smaller rifles
- May come in leaking bottles
- Some buyers think it is worse than grease
Birchwood Casey BC33344
Birchwood Casey Gun Scrubber has been trusted by serious shooters and avid collectors since 1948. It is one of the versatile gun cleaning products that every serious gun owner should have in their cleaning paraphernalia. It not only cleans but lubricates and protects your gun.
- Has been tested for quality and durability
- Made of high quality materials
- Comes in a professional size aerosol
- Comes as one can, not two as advertised
- Don’t come with a nozzle extension
Hornady 99901 One Shot Gun Cleaner Aerosol
The Hornady 99901 aerosol gun cleaner has special formulations that make it ideal for taking care of all your short gun cleaning needs. It is dry, non-tacky and cleans, lubricates and protects your gun at the same time. It is very effective in getting rid of malfunctions occasioned by the buildup of grime and lubricants during gun cleaning.
- Lubricates and cleans
- Only effective for loose dirt
Sweets 7.62 Solvent
Sweets 7.62 is one of the gun cleaning solvents in Australia, and it has dominated the gun cleaning industry for years. This can be attributed to its effectiveness in removing powder residues and metal fouling from the guns.
- Effective in removing powder residues
- Can remove acids and corrosive salts
- Contains ammonia, hence, can cause corrosion in metallic parts
Breakthrough Clean Technologies Military-Grade Solvent
Breakthrough Clean Technologies military-grade solvent is a non-toxic and non-staining gun cleaning solvent that is deadly effective in removing fouling, without leaving any residue behind. It is pH neutral, and will thus work safely with any material your gun is made of without worrying about corrosion.
- Truly pH neutral
- The bottle doesn’t come full
- The spray bottle is not reusable
- Some users thought it was ineffective
Pro Shot 1 – Ounce Zero Friction Needle Oiler
The Pro Shot 1 – Ounce Zero Friction Needle Oiler is what you need when you want to access areas that traditional application methods may find it difficult to reach. It contains anti-wear additives as well as anti-oxidants that will guarantee maximum protection for your gun.
- Ideal for reaching unreachable areas
- Provides superior protection and performance
- Ideal for use in extreme temperatures
- Not ideal for use in folding knives
- The cap metal leaks because it is made of plastic
Slip 2000 725 Gun Cleaner 16 Trigger Spray
The Slip 2000 Gun Cleaner is very effective in removing grease, carbon, and oil that normally accumulate following regular gun use. It is a biodegradable, non-solvent water-based product that is also environmentally friendly, hence, safe for use.
- Non-petroleum, hence, eliminate fire hazards
- Water based, so you have to rinse or dry it well
- Not very effective in lubrication
- Since water-based, not ideal for use under extreme temperatures
BreakFree Model: CLP – 20 Cleaner Lubricant
The Breakfree Model: CLP – 20 Cleaner Lubricant is a three-in-one cleaning solvent that will meet most of your gun cleaning and maintenance needs. It is manufactured by a known giant in the gun care industry, and this is a subtle indication of the kind of quality you can expect from it.
- It is a cleaner, lubricant, and protectant
- Not petroleum-based, hence, no risk of fire hazards
- It is not a drip-tip as advertised
Slip 2000 Carbon Killer 16Oz
Slip 200 Carbon Killer is the ideal if you need to remove carbon on contact from your gun. It is designed to soak metal parts with baked carbon and as such, it will completely get rid of carbon, plastic, lead, and any burnt powder that might be present on the gun.
- Can remove carbon on contact
- Removes lead
- Can get rid of heavy carbon fouling
- Doesn’t dissolve carbon per the advertisements
- Some users think it doesn’t work completely
Remmington Oil & Action Cleaner
Remmington Oil & Action Cleaner is a thin oil that works fine for both cleaning and lubricating firearms. It features the cleaning oil as well as the action cleaner that brings more versatility and convenience in cleaning the gun. Worth noting is that since the oil is thin, it evaporates fast, hence, does not leave any oil behind to collect dirt after cleaning.
- Offers good lubrication
- Evaporates faster
- Not ideal for precise applications
- Will dribble out if held upside-down
Final Thoughts – what is the best gun cleaning solvent
There is no denying that proper care and maintenance of your firearm is important. It is the only way you can count on the reliability, longevity, and efficiency of the gun. With so many gun cleaning products in the market today, it can be confusing to know which ones are the most suited for your gun, and as a responsible user, it is important to know how to choose the right products that will give you the best cleaning results.
Not all products are suited for all guns, and a poor choice of gun cleaning supplies has the potential of ruining your gun. Hopefully, you now know how to choose the best gun cleaning solvents, and you also understand how to use the solvents in the correct manner.
When it comes to the specific supplies to use for cleaning your gun, choices will vary depending on a number of factors. It is always recommended that you read the manufacturer’s manual of your gun so that you can have an idea of some of the best products you can rely on.
However, there are certain cleaning products that are outright winners, and irrespective of the gun you have, you will be guaranteed of very good results. These products have been listed.
How to choose the best gun cleaning solvents
With so many gun cleaning products out there, it may be confusing to know which solvents you should consider for your gun. It goes without saying that different guns will require different maintenance practices, and this implies that the solvents may also vary from one gun to another. However, there are certain basics you ought to consider when thinking about getting a solvent, and they include the following-:
The potency of the solvent
The potency simply refers to how effective the gun oil or cleaning solvent will be as far as cleaning your gun is concerned. As a user, you may not have a lot of options when it comes to the potency, but it is vital that you check the manufacturer’s guide and see the recommendations on the oils and solvents you should use for taking care of your gun. This is very important, though most people usually tend to ignore it.
Look for more than just a mere cleaner
The ideal solvent you go for should do more than just dissolve fouling residue during the cleaning process. In addition to cleaning, it should help to lubricate your gun, as well as add a protective coating which to protect the gun against rust if you live in areas or operate in conditions where rust is likely to be a potential threat to the effectiveness of your gun.
As a gun owner, you will soon realize that there are lots of cleaning solvents available, and you will have a different experience with each and every one of them. You may resort to a game of trial and error as you search for the best cleaner that will give you a great experience in the cleaning process, as well as taking good care of your gun. Therefore, don’t be afraid to try out a couple of cleaners at different times and evaluate the ones that will give you the very best results.
Why care about gun cleaning – the importance of gun cleaning
The main reason for cleaning your gun is to have it in a good state and ready to use every time you need it. However, there are other benefits that come with proper and regular gun cleaning. They include the following-:
- The longevity of the gun – regular cleaning and maintenance will ensure that your gun will last for generations. Without proper care, your gun is likely to rust, and its various components may fail to work properly. If you have heard of people owning shotguns that belonged to their great grandfathers, it is because proper care and maintenance were observed.
- Knowing how the gun works – as a responsible gun owner, it is good to have a good understanding of how the gun works so that in case of any problems, you will know where to start. The process of cleaning a gun involves disassembling it, and while you do so, you will see how the various components come together and also have a better understanding of the gun’s operations.
- Know to how to lubricate properly – lubricating a gun doesn’t just mean oiling the various components and leaving everything working smoothly. There are certain sections of the gun that the lubricating oil should not access, lest you experience a failure to eject or failure to fire. The process of cleaning your gun will give you a good understanding of where and how you should do the lubrication.
- Safety and reliability – the only way to know that you can rely on your gun when you need it the most is to make cleaning it seriously. Always remember that if you take good care of your gun, it will also take good care of you.
Things to consider: when using a gun cleaning solvent
If you are considering getting the best gun cleaning supplies, then you probably have an idea about what is expected of you when it comes to gun cleaning. But that notwithstanding, there are additional tips that will help you along the way when using a gun cleaning solvent-:
Secure your gun
Before embarking on the gun cleaning process, you have to ensure that it is well secured and that it is not going to fall off your hands or the workbench. It is always advisable that you invest in a decent gun vise to help you secure the gun during the cleaning process. Again, when you secure the gun during the cleaning process, you will be careful not to leave scratches or scrapes on the gun, since these may ruin the finish of your gun.
Invest in a good cleaning mat
A good gun cleaning mat is essential in helping you get more organized during the cleaning process. You don’t want to be faced with a situation where you have CLP everywhere and you can’t tell where it is coming from. All you need is a dedicated cleaning surface to prevent this from happening, and also to help you not lose any component of the gun that you shall have disassembled.
Don’t let the gun cleaning solvents leak
When gun cleaning solvents leak, they can cause a myriad of damages, including ruining the gun case as well as the cleaning table. It is imperative that you be very careful when you open your CLP caps and place them on stable surfaces when you are doing the cleaning. Once you are done using them, you should always store them safely in your gun cleaning kit because you also don’t want them to leak inside the kits.
There are different solvents for different guns
Finally, you should always have in mind that there are different solvents for different guns. Some solvents work best with large caliber rifles while others work best with small firearms. With this in knowledge, always go for the gun cleaning solvents purposely designed for your type of gun if you want the best cleaning results.
Hoppe’s Gun Bore Cleaner Vs Solvent
Most gun owners do get confused when it comes to Hoppe’s Gun Bore Cleaner and the Hoppe’s Solvent. It is important to understand the difference between these two cleaners so that you know when to use which one. The Hoppe’s 9 guns bore cleaner is the original formula that contains the highly corrosive ammonia.
As such, you should be careful not to let it sit on any metallic component of the gun since it causes serious damages to it. The solvent, on the other hand, is a non-toxic cleaner with no ammonia, hence less corrosive and is less likely to damage the metallic parts of your gun.
Homemade gun cleaning solvents
If you own a gun, then there is no escaping using gun cleaning solvents. A clean gun is an accurate gun, and for some people, the regular need for cleaning solvents may appear to be a bit pricey, and as such, they may resort to making their own cleaning solvents.
The good news is that with a little dedication, you can quickly gather up what you need to make the solvent from the comfort of your home so that you can avoid buying the expensive solvents. If you choose this route, however, be sure that that the ingredients you use in patching up your solvents will be suitable for use in your gun.